Website Invest Newark
“Advancing Economic Prosperity For All Newarkers”
Assistant General Counsel
About Invest Newark – Newark, New Jersey
Invest Newark is the City of Newark’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth. Invest Newark’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity, and strengthen the City’s competitive position. Invest Newark serves as an advocate for the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of Newark’s many opportunities. Additional information on Invest Newark can be found by visiting https://investnewark.org/ and https://landbank.investnewark.org
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the City of Newark, Invest Newark knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. Invest Newark employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate, and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the State of New Jersey.
Your Role: Invest Newark seeks an attorney with substantial experience in residential and commercial real estate finance, affordable housing, land use, and employment law to join INVEST NEWARK.
• The attorney will represent INVEST NEWARK in drafting, negotiating, and structuring complex commercial and residential real estate transactions and business development transaction.
• Some of the work will focus on lending and investment transactions that support the production and preservation of affordable housing.
• Additional work will involve land dispositions and acquisitions, commercial lease negotiations, vendor procurement contracts, development, and joint venture partnership agreements.
• Practice areas will include structuring, negotiating, and closing financial transactions for real estate and business expansion in a manner that supports stated public policy objectives and protects the investment
• This attorney will thus play a critical role in stewarding public funds and addressing the City’s real estate development and business expansion goals.
• Day-to-day work will involve working closely with INVEST NEWARK staff and representing the corporation on all aspects of real estate business transactions, including financing or procurement documents that reflect and appropriately secure INVEST NEWARK’s interest.
• Prior experience working with financings that include conventional debt and equity, low-income housing tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, Federal HOME and CDBG funds, and other state and local funding sources is critical to this work.
• Administer real estate and business development transactions
• Analyze and present findings and recommendations to INVEST NEWARK’s CEO and Board of Directors in written and verbal form
• Brief senior City officials and other State and Federal agencies on legal findings
• Assist in the negotiation of contracts of sale, lease, and other related contracts
• Provide advice on the legal and regulatory issues related to the structuring, marketing, and launching of new real estate investment products
• Foster and manage relationships with real estate developers, attorneys, urban planners, consultants, elected officials, and community stakeholders
• Collaborate with colleagues in other departments in INVEST NEWARK, such as the Real Estate Division and Business Development Division
• Advise on labor and employment matters related to INVEST NEWARK staff
• Must have a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited Law School
• Must be a licensed Attorney in the State of New Jersey
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in relevant field (finance, real estate, business law, City or State agency)
• Familiar with federal government financing programs, low-income housing tax credits, new market tax credits, and conventional debt and equity investment program
• Experience drafting loan documents and joint venture equity investments (operating agreements)
• General knowledge of the US regulatory framework for private funds and real estate capital markets, such as the Investment Advisers Act, the Securities Act of 1933, and ERISA is a plus
• General knowledge of N.J.S.A. 40-1 et seq. and 40A-1 et seq.
• Proven strength in the use of MS Office Suite applications
• Strong project management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
• Ability to prioritize competing needs and opportunities
• Understanding of economic development issues
• Ability to be a self-starter who works well in a team-based environment with limited oversight
• emonstrated ability to work independently or lead a project team on complex transactions
• Possess a strong sense of professional judgment and ability to solve problems creatively
• Newark residence is preferred but not required
• Experience working with not-for-profit organizations and local, state, and the federal government a plus
Invest Newark propels the city’s strong and diverse economy, builds vibrant communities, and creates opportunities for all Newarkers.
We are a dedicated team of expert planners, economists, and innovators who are driven to ensure all Newarkers have the resources to thrive. Invest Newark is not a typical development agency: we go above and beyond to support small and minority-owned businesses, invest in world-class internet service, and maintain an intense focus on sustainability.
Invest Newark is an equal opportunity employer
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.